Monday, May 5, 2008

First Posting


This is my first posting of my blog entry for English 328. Just a little about my self, I graduated from Eastern Michigan University in 2005 with a BA and teaching certificate in social studies. Since then I have been working as a substitute teacher. A job, which like any other has its ups and its downs, but now it is May I am honestly just burned out from being a different person each day. I must confess this semester has me a bit nervous since I have never done a completely online course before and I have another traditional class as well. While I only have one more month of work left (the joy of being a substitute teacher) I am already feeling the strain. Luckily I have enough friends who are self described "computer geeks" that I know I will be in good hands if the stress affects my ability to understand the work. And if all else fails I will plan a little extra time with my cat "Mac," research shows that spending time with pets can be the best stress reliever.


A bit of Advice
For those who are working for their first teaching endorsement I wish you all the luck and you will need it. And I know that you wont listen to me because I didn't listen to all of those who told me that I was doomed not to find a job. It doesn't matter how much you think your former teachers loved you, it is going to be a fight and a fight up against thousands of qualified and in most cases better applicants just because they have been out their longer. Out of state isn't always a guarantee either, the pay can be un-live able and I know many who have tried out-of state and have come back willing to substitute teach like me. It really is all about finding the right place for you. I even looked in to Las Vegas last year to teach, and was greeted with "Will accept all applications-except Social Studies." With Social Studies being my subject area, you should be seeing my point that there are no guarantees in job hunting.

No comments: