Sunday, May 18, 2008

Revising with Williams

The purpose of this assignment is to Revise parts of the Eastern Michigan
Catalog using ideas put fort in Joseph M. Williams, Style Toward Clarity and Grace.

I did not see many area's in the course catalog which were terrible writing in that I actually could understand most of what was being written. Mostly I found sentences to be short and to the point which to me indicates clarity. However I did find a few parts which could use some revising.

EMU Catalog: Special requirements for students seeking admission to the written communication majors include evidence that their GPA is at least 2.5 at the end of the sophomore year.

Revision: Students must have a GPA of at least 2.5 by the end of their sophomore year if they plan on seeking admission to the written communication major.

-Like Williams I worked to not change the wording of this passage, as I did not want to change the meaning of the passage but sum up the the actions and conditions.

EMU Catalog: An intermediate writing course that introduces students to a variety of critical practices in the study of literature and that teaches the conventions of writing about literature by focusing on reading and writing as interrelated activities.

Revision: This intermediate writing course focuses on reading and writing as interrelated activities and introduces a variety of critical practices in the study of literature.

-Here I attempted to trim out the needless phrases and make the passage clearer to the reader.

EMU Catalog:
Composition I: Writing the College Experience introduces use of writing and reading for inquiry. Students write extended essays about subjects relevant to the college experience using conventions of standard written English; assignments may also incorporate other genres and styles. Emphasis is placed on using writing and reading as a process for discovery, and on communicating ideas to audiences.


Revision: Composition I: Writing the College Experience introduces use of writing and reading for questioning. Using standard written English students will write extended essay about their college experience. Some assignments may also include other forms of writing and styles. The emphasis is on writing and reading as a process for discovery, as well as communicating ideas to audiences.

-Again I did not change much of the original passage but attempted to use clearer language in away which would flow better for the reader.

No comments: